A remarkable vintage video released in 2015 by the British MovieTone clearly captures the collapse of the Niagara Falls in 1954 due to persistent weathering of the rocks.  Niagara Falls is one of the most fascinating natural wonders in North America, a group of three waterfalls that form a border between the U.S. and Canada, specifically in New York and Ontario. The water flowing over the rocks is free of sandy debris or sediment, adding to the intense charm of the entire scene. Niagara Falls has been a major tourist and photography attraction for centuries. It’s also a valuable source of hydroelectric power generation for both countries.
The three waterfalls are located at the south end of the Niagara Gorge. The largest of the three falls is the Horse Shoe falls, also known as the Canadian Falls over which 90% of the Niagara river flows. The remaining 10% of the river flows over the other two falls, the American Falls and the Bridal Veils Falls. All three falls combined have the highest flow rate of any natural waterfall in North America, with a vertical drop of more than 160 ft (50 m).
Collapsing into the abyss
On July 28, 1954, a shocking video retrieved from the British MovieTones’ archives shows a massive chunk of rock sliding off the American Falls section of the Niagara Falls. Wide cracks had previously appeared on the site and they were first noticed by a 9-year-old tourist exploring the location. Other people began to report the dangerous cracks and workers attempted to prevent the slide.
However, there was little they could do to stop nature from taking its course, and after clearing the area, photographers from MovieTone set up a motion-picture camera to capture the event. There were no excellent HD cameras at the time, but they still did a great job.
In one of the most mind-blowing rock falls ever filmed on tape, over 168,000 tons of rocks dirt and debris crashed into the cataclysm, leaving a humongous chip off the main block.
As described by British MovieTone:
“When the first tell-tale cracks appeared in the rock at the side of Niagara Falls, MovieTone cameramen kept a round-the-clock vigil. Their patience was rewarded by sensational pictures as 185,000 tons of rock crashed down to the bottom of the Falls.”
Tourism on the Niagara falls
Reports estimate that an average of 30 million people from all over the world visits Niagara Falls every year.  Several tourist businesses thrive in the area surrounding the falls, especially during the summertime when the scenic beauty is both a day and night-time delight.
The revenue generated from tourism at the falls was over $400 million in 2007, and although it dropped to $370 million in 2012, the numbers have been increasing steadily ever since. 
The falls are best viewed from the Canadian side where dreamily colorful floodlights light up both sides of the fall after dark. Of course, viewing from the American side is still a thrilling experience, but the Niagara accounts for 10% of all tourism recorded in Canada.
Several small businesses charge a fee to offer guided tours and boat rides at the base of the falls and the bordering islands. The Goat Island borders the Bridal Veil Falls and the Horse Shoe Falls while the Luna Island borders the American Falls and the Bridal Veils. Both islands are situated in New York and tourists love to be taken around the beautiful scenes.
Perhaps, the most famed tourist attraction at the Niagara is the Maid of the Mist and Hornblower boat cruises, boat tours that start from the American side into Ontario for Maid of the Mist, or the other way round for Hornblower.
Another particular exciting attraction on the Canadian side is the Queen Victoria Park that offers amazing views of all three waterfalls, also featuring adorable gardens and underground walkways that create the illusion of walking through tumbling waters. Everyone deserves to visit the falls at least once in their lifetime. Some natural locations are never described well enough with words or videos. However, if you’re going to take a trip to the falls, it’s best to join a guided tour and tread carefully on safe paths. Over the decades, the Niagara has been the site of countless deliberate and accidental plunges and falls, many of which were fatal.  Little children should never be allowed to wander alone. Finally, ensure you always stick with people who know the safest terrains.